Moxee was first settled by Mortimer Thorp and several French-Canadian farmers who arrived in 1867. A warm spring on the Thorp ranch emitted steam year ’round and never froze. It was known as “Moxee” by the native people, a Sahaptin word for an edible root, and was the name was adopted for the settlement. The town of Moxee City was incorporated on April 27, 1921. Street and road names in the vicinity, such as Charron, Faucher, Rivard, Beaudry, Desmarais, Robillard, Beauchene, Gamache, Champoux, Morrier, and St. Hilaire, continue to reflect Moxee’s French-Canadian heritage. However, almost one-third of residents are of Hispanic descent today.
According to the Washington State Office of Financial Management, Moxee ranked 5th of 279 eligible incorporated communities in population growth between 2000 and 2005.