Zillah was founded in 1891 following the completion of the Sunnyside Canal project, an irrigation scheme delivering water from the Yakima River to the arid lower Yakima Valley. Walter Granger, superintendent of the canal company, chose the townsite in 1892. The town was named for Miss Zillah Oakes, daughter of Thomas Fletcher Oakes, who, as president of the Northern Pacific Railway, had backed the building of the canal. The town was named after Miss Zillah because she would scream and cry on the way to the new town, while on the trip her father promised to name the town after her if she would stop. Granger housed the headquarters of the Washington Irrigation Company in Zillah, giving it economic advantages for a time. He also made his residency in Zillah, becoming its mayor after retiring from the irrigation company. Zillah was officially incorporated on January 5, 1911.
Church of God Zillah – The church was named long before the Godzilla movies began; it now officially calls itself the “Christian Worship Center”.