Do you change the filter in your air conditioner or furnace as often as you should? Replacing these filters frequently is key to keeping your units operating correctly and more energy-efficiently. It can also help improve your indoor air quality. Call ThermAll Heating & Cooling, Inc. for services in Yakima and Ellensburg, WA. In business since 1988, we guarantee satisfaction!
Is the air in your home safe for your family to breathe? Contact us to schedule indoor air quality testing.
Risks of Failing To Replace Your Filters
Replacing the filters in your furnace or air conditioner may seem like a minor task, but it can have a big impact on your system. Failing to change the filters regularly can result in the following issues:
- Lower indoor air quality in your home: Dirty filters can fail to fully remove contaminants from the air in your house.
- Inadequate airflow: Clogged filters may not allow air to move as expected.
- Risk of breakdowns: Blocked filters can cause your system to overwork, putting more wear and tear on it.
- Higher repair costs: If your unit is working harder than it needs to, it can result in more frequent repairs.
- Inefficient unit: If the system is overworked, it can use more energy to keep your home at the ideal temperature, resulting in higher utility bills.
How Often Should Filters Be Replaced?
You should replace your filters regularly to keep your AC unit and furnace working as expected. But, how often is often enough? This can depend on where you live if you have pets, and other criteria, as outlined here:
- Change every six months if you don’t have a pet.
- Replace every three months if you live in an urban area, due to potential air quality issues.
- Change every two months if you have a pet.
- Replace every month if you or anyone in your household has pet allergies.
- Replace more often during periods of extended AC use, such as the heat of summer.
Is there debris in your ductwork? Contact us to schedule air duct cleaning and repair services.
Benefits of Replacing Filters Regularly
Replacing the filters in your furnace and air conditioner can benefit your family’s health and your HVAC systems. Some of the advantages of changing these regularly can include:
- Increased indoor air quality, which can improve your household’s health.
- Lower utility bills as the unit can work more efficiently.
- Increased lifespan of your unit as it can endure less wear and tear.
- Reduced dust around your home as the filters can help collect it before it travels through the air.